Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Summon the Silly" Bumbershoot '07

Stephi and I attended the West Coast poetry slam and were asked to be one of five teams of judges. This was my first experience with a poetry slam and we were feeling the pressure of judging with little expertise. Low scores were boo-ed by the audience! The fate of the enormous golden cup and its winners were in our hands. I was really impressed by the talented word play and performance. It was a breath of fresh air after a series of tremendously emotional poems about serious topics when one poet began with the simple invitation to "Summon the silly." Ah, I couldn't agree more. They all did great and no one egged us- we were nice judges.
This is me and John Legend. He's the tiny spec in white pants on the stage. Stephi and I got a little closer, weaving our way to the middle of the crowd on the ground by the end of the concert. He called for a volunteer to dance with him on stage (alas, the moment I've been waiting for all my life!) and... no, I didn't make it. Another day!









2 comments:

StephEMi said...

You must know the girl named Redbird.
Although, I wonder have you heard
her speech so subtlely
as she summons the Silly--
unexpected this has occurred.

RedBird said...

stephanie is a poet, and she didn't know it! hee hee!